Monday, 29 October 2012
For those of us in long distance relationships, we know that no matter how much you love your SO, sometimes it's just not the same as spending every day together. After my boyfriend and I decided to attend different colleges and stay in a relationship, I did some major detective work in the iPhone App Store. My boyfriend doesn't have a Facebook, so I was even more eager to find new ways for us to be able to just say hi.
Not that the buzz of my phone after receiving a text from him isn't exciting, but it doesn't compare to the honk from his car waiting outside my house. So, are you in a long distance relationship? Or, are you looking for ways to make your mundane relationship more exciting through technology? If so, listen up! Here are five smartphone apps that will significantly improve your LDR-- or spice up any relationship in need!
1. Pair: In this unique app, you and your SO will be able to communicate solely with each other. After "pairing up," the app opens to your conversation, also known as your "timeline." On your timeline, you can do much more than just send messages. The 8 functions include sending drawings that you've created, a live drawing board where you can both draw on the same screen (great for tic-tac-toe!), a "locations" button so you can keep your SO posted on where you are, and a thumb kiss function. The thumb kiss function instructs you to press and hold your thumb down somewhere on the screen, and it will pop up on your SO's screen so that they can push their thumb down on yours and kiss you back! The screen turns red and vibrates. Okay, so it's not the same as a real kiss, but I'd assert that it's the closest you're gonna get!
2. WeChat: This is great for couples who are living in different countries. Studying abroad and worrying about how to text your SO without racking up a ridiculously expensive bill? Fret no more. This app allows you to text for free whenever you have wifi from anywhere in the world!
3. Snapchat: Although this isn't solely an app for members of long distance relationships, I have found it to be a fun way of keeping in touch. Essentially, you take a snapshot (most often of yourself), and send it to a friend. They are notified, and must press and hold the alert to view the picture. Here's the catch: they can only view the picture for a number of seconds which you determine!
4. Tango: Functioning similarly to WeChat, Tango allows you to talk on your smartphone for free from anywhere in the world through wifi!
5. Long Distance: Know when you're going to see your SO next? In this app, you can view a countdown displayed next to a picture of you and your lover! Additionally, there is a quote function that provides you with daily quotes to keep you going. Definitely a must have!
Are you in a long distance relationship? If so, what do you do to keep things exciting?