Wednesday, 01 August 2012
1. "Glory Box" by Portishead. Beth Gibbons croons: "...I've been a temptress too long / Give me a reason to love you / Give me a reason to be a woman / I just wanna be a woman..." It's that blend of naked, vulnerable hunger and total self-possession that resonates with so many listeners. The speaker in this song is a woman who's excruciatingly aware of her sexual power and wants nothing more than to give it expression and ultimately, surrender it -- willingly, on her own terms, and to the rare, worthy recipient. What smart, strong woman hasn't been able to relate to this at some lovelorn point in her life? Also: This is *quality* strip-tease material. Just sayin'...
2. "Whatever You Like" by Anya Marina. Super-seductive T.I. cover!
3. "Bloodstream" by Stateless. You think you might've inhaled me? I've gotten into your bloodstream? Well, I guess that's cool, 'cuz I'm pretty sure I got pregnant just from listening to this...
4. "Sunspots" by Nine Inch Nails. Maybe it's the dark, electronic thrum that sounds vaguely like a whip cracking in the background. Maybe it's Trent Reznor's obvious desperation to feel, which has morphed into a penchant for reckless masochism. Any which way, there's something so bad, so Dungeon-Prince-Fabulous about this song! You don't have to apologize for the way you feel, Trent -- drag me off to your lair and do what you will with me!
5. "Zero" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs. A sonic gallop that LITERALLY makes my heart race and my stomach lurch! When Karen O. invites us to, "Try and hit the spot / Get to know it in the dark..." in her raw, pitchy, gasping vocals, it certainly doesn't detract from the song's sexiness-factor!
6. "Sex On Fire" by Kings of Leon. A classic -- this one speaks for itself!
7. "World Outside" by The Devlins. Colin Devlin sings: "Tell me your secret / What you desire / I will still be there for you / And tell me you need it / Tell me something you're not / I will still be there for you / You're light in my dreams / Light up my skin / You're so far away / You're holding it in / I'm looking around / Watching it spin / Got my world outside / It's changing / Something within..." This song is a slow, sensual promise of unconditional acceptance -- a promise that I'm free and safe to be exactly who I am, to want exactly what I want, without fear of judgment or rejection. Isn't that the sort of intimacy we crave our whole lives?
8. "Lo Hecho Esta Hecho" by Shakira. Okay. It's probably more the video than the song itself. What can I say? I'm a hopeless sucker for choreography! Plus, it's hardly debatable that Shaki is the living, breathing personification of sex!
9. "Lotus Flower" by Radiohead. Thom Yorke sings: "There's an empty space inside my heart / Where the weeds take root / So now I'll set you free / I'll set you free..." Maybe it's Radiohead's reference to the sacred lotus (which symbolizes eternal beauty, purity, and awakening in the Hindu faith), but there's something almost mystical about this song. I get the distinct sense that the speaker is one of those one-in-a-thousand, "shaman lovers" (the superhumanly gifted kind!). I believe that he will, indeed, set me free... and intuitively, he'll know EXACTLY when [and how] to do it! Mmmm...
10. "Motivation" by Kelly Rowland (feat. Lil Wayne). This list wouldn't be complete without a cheesy R&B love-elixir. I do dig it! That said, I'll ignore the line, "Girl, I turn that thing into a rainforest / Rain on my head, call that brainstorming..." for the sake of maintaining my lady-boner.
A few bonus recommendations:
-"Talk Show Host" by Radiohead
-"Don't Move" by Phantogram
-"Grandstand" by Beats Antique!
What are some of your favorite sexy tunes?