Saturday, 21 January 2012
Recently, my on again off again boyfriend of 3 years ended things between us for good. It was after a particularly good "on again" phase, and I was a bit taken aback by his decision. But more than anything, I was HURT. I was the exact cliche, stereotypical, broken hearted girl that everyone pictures- crying while looking through old pictures, sleeping in his old shirt, re-reading our old Facebook conversations, listening to "our" songs, etc.But then I realized- I needed to stop. What is the point of moping around? Sure, it helps temporarily. I actually think it's necessary when you first experience a break up. But there comes a point when we need to pick ourselves up and move on. Find that inner strength that each and every one of us has. It is difficult, trust me, I know. But it's something we all need to do.So that's what I did. I found my strength. I got rid of his stuff. Took his pictures down. Erased his number from my phone and de-friended him on Facebook. And instead of listening to "our" songs, I deleted them. And replaced them with new songs.
I was surprised how much the simple action of deleting "our" songs helped me. I replaced them with empowering, happier songs. It did wonders for me. So now, I will share some of my songs and hope that they can help out another girl who's just trying to pick up the pieces of a broken heart.
1. "In Real Life" by Demi Lovato:- I was never a fan of Demi Lovato's music. But one of my friends showed me this song and I loved it instantly. I heard it soon after I read a magazine article about Demi in which she declared, "I don't need anything else, including a guy, to feel whole." I love how strong she is and what Demi stands for. Nowadays, she's a good role model for the girls like me who are trying to find the strength to be on their own after a relationship.
2. "Who You Are" by Jessie J:- Let me start off by saying- broken hearted or not, this is a good song for anyone to listen to. Moreso than Demi, Jessie J is a strong woman and someone I personally love and am inspired by. This song itself is one of the reasons why. The lyrics are beautiful. It's all about being true to YOURSELF. It's empowering and a must download for girls going through a break up. Or any tough time in general.
3. "Brand New Day" by Trevor Hall:- I heard this song at my job and fell in love with it. Just hearing the song makes me smile. The lyrics are wonderful. Because just as the song says, it's a brand new day. Wake up and make it count. Live in the NOW, not the past. THAT is something I found very difficult to do, but listening to this song as I was beginning to think about the past really helped me refocus and feel better.
4. "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Maroon 5:- At first, this song may seem a bit sadder than the previous 3. But Adam Levine has a great way of taking break up songs and the sadness and pain associated with them and making them into great songs like this. What I like most about this song are the lyrics. They're spot on. Especially the chorus and the line, "It hurts, but it may be the only way." Because in a lot of cases, breaking up and letting go of the other person ARE, in fact, the only way to heal, move on and live a healthy life.
5. "Miss Me" by Andy Grammer:- I just recently discovered this song and have had it on repeat for a good week. Andy Grammer is great when you need a pick me up song (see also "Keep Your Head Up"!). But this song speaks to me, at least, because it literally is saying, "You're gonna miss me." Because ladies, that's what we need to realize. He WILL miss you. He might not come crawling back to you, but that's OK because he HAD his chance. You BOTH will be hurting, but it's up to you to find your strength and show him what he is missing. Because when you're strong and independent, no one can bring you down!
Those are just a few of my favorite post-break-up, need to stay strong and move on, songs.
What are your favorite songs to get you through a break up?