The other night, I had my vegan friend over for dinner. At first I was terrified-- what the hell was I going to cook for her? All I have in my freezer right now is a bag of 78 meatballs that I bought at Ikea. So, I scrounged, and found a bunch of pasta and herbs in my fridge that I decided to make pasta with. I had never made pesto before, so I just kinda threw crap into a food processor until it tasted great. And lord, it tasted so great. Quick and Easy Pesto: Ingredients
Makes: 4 servings
About 3 cups of fresh basil
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 cup of parmesan cheese (which I of course omitted for my vegan friend)
1 1/2 cups of crushed walnuts (or pine nuts if you're not poor like me)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp saltDirections:
1. Put a pot of water on the stove to boil. Add a little bit of salt to the water to make it boil faster, and add a little olive oil to the water so that the noodles don't stick.
2. Once the water starts to boil, add the noodles.
3. Crush the garlic, and chop it up into fine pieces.
4. Put the olive oil, garlic, walnuts, basil, salt, and cheese into a food processer, and turn it on.
5. Once the noodles are done, drain them and toss them immediately in your pesto mixture.
Serve with a salad (or I served it with grilled asparagus), and add chicken if you want! Pesto is great hot or cold, and it keeps well. Enjoy!